Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Book Review: I am a stranger here myself: Notes on returning to America after 20 years

It is not often that you come across a book that makes you fall off your chair and roll with laughter. Bill Bryson does that almost effortlessly like an extremely seasoned stand up comedian. It is a collection of experiences that he goes through when he returns to USA after living in UK for 20 years (as the title suggests, duh). In fact, my only grumble is about the title itself. I think with a few more words it would have become as big as one of his chapters.

Just to list a few topics - American tax system, post office, impact of walmart, shows what a potpourri it is. Remember that this was written for British audience, so don't be offended if you feel he sounds British!! There are some pretty serious (almost!) chapters like the one about Thanksgiving that i can imagine would have been very appropriate considering this was published just before Thanksgiving (what else?). I will let the rest of topics remain a mystery, have fun seeing it unfold as you read.

All in all, this is a great read. So let me keep it simple - just go get it.

No comments: