Monday, September 18, 2006

Sportsmen Vs Sportsmen-wannabe!!



Last sunday we had the Times of India Bangalore marathon - infact the very second that the city has seen. And we ( Mani, Karthee, Shakil and I) were pretty glad that we were around to participate in it. But then this time we were courageous enough to choose the half marathon which is a pretty 21kms of running and i think we had a thing or two to prove ourselves.


I must accept i felt like a sportsman and really wanted to feel what he would go through. Easier part was that i was not running to win and yes why that became easy is because i said to myself that i could not get enough practice and so stopping in between was just about fine. I just wanted to test my endurance, just wanted to keep my mind focussed and do the 21 kms running, walking or crawling.


Initially it felt good as there were so many of these nice smiling warm folks running along. After sometime all that drained and people like me were left with imaginary bouts of extreme exhaustion. Well but then i was here to play the sportsman and i am determined enough to take it through till the end. I ran along pretty nice till half that distance and man i felt like the strongest. Few more steps and there i was limping as my right knee hurt like mad. Any amount ot mental steroid did not help me. I could not imagine what it would be like to be a sportsperson feeling helpless of a dangerous career wrecking injury. All those images went before my eyes - of Lance Armstrong, Michael Vaughan, Marat Safin and so many more who live their sport and find themselves waiting by the sides still convincing themselves to make a come back !!


Well i must admit i am just a sportsman-wannabe with no match for a true sportsman. Hats off sporties!! /p>

No comments: