Sunday, December 31, 2006

Being an Indian

I am a very proud Indian and that also makes me assume huge responsibility in explaining to my German colleagues on what it feels to be an Indian.
Not only that, i think this also gives me huge responsibility in doing the right things so as to avoid any stereotypes being added on to an "Indian"

I really enjoy these cross cultural abuses on my system at times - how much was i surprised the first time i learnt that there can be totally different opinions on issues like marriage, divorce, career etc..

And what is unasumingly natural is for taboos in your culture to be a perfectly accepted reality in another. Let me give an example - it is an absolute NO to display affection in public in India. And i was talking to my good German friend and he found this as unacceptable - " How can i not display my affection i have for my partner when i am overwhelmed by it? And why should it be this way? After all everyone has these feelings towards their loved ones, isnt it - then why this veil?"

This is only the tip of the iceberg - there are lot more conflicts in interest like these..

There is only one way to look at this - and this is the right way..Depending on where you are respect the local culture if not follow it!!

No comments: